Urinary tract antiseptic, mild diuretic
Adults take 2-4 tablets a day
Side effects: Very rarely in sensitive individuals ,some discomfort due to gastric hyperacidity may occur. Contraindications: None known Pregnancy and Lactation: No restriction known
Each tablet contains dry extract of aireal parts of Equisetum arvense (horsetail) 294- 332 mg
kidney disease such as glomerulonephritis and cystic disease presents awesome and possibly overwhelming odds for the phytotherapist . By definition the kidney in such cases especially where the basement membrane is involved ,is vulnerable to further damage with any new active metabolite .
Nevertheless, there is experimental evidence, mainly from China and Japan, suggesting that some herbal remedies might have been beneficial in such
cases, including such conditions as nephrotic syndrome (2).
The active ingredients in Dandelion (flavonoids and saponin) have a diuretic effect and promote the
excretion of water and body electrolytes(3,4).This plant is used especially in Europe and northern America as a urinary antiseptic ,this plant increases blood flow to the kidneys and then
enhances urine production (4). The experimental evidence shows that this plant is able to dissolve kidney stones and this effect is due mainly to urine alkalinization of this plant along with its antiseptic
effect. Since Dandelion has silicic acid , it is able to make the bones and connective tissues very compact (5).
1. Equisetum Arvense ، Horsetail: PDR For Herbal Medicines ; Medical Economics Company. Montvale ، New Jersey، pp 830 ،
2. Muangman V ، et al .;The usage of Andrographis paniculate following Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy. J. Med Assoc. of Theiland (1995), 78 ( 6) :310-
3. Perez – Gutierrez – RM، et al.: Diuretic activity of Mexican equisetum. J. Ethnopharmacol ; (1985) ; 14، 269 - 272.
4. radley ، P.R.(ed.) British Herbal Compendium. Vol 1. Bournemouth ; British Herbal Medicine Association (1992).
5. Grases F . Melero G ، et al.; Urolithiasis and phytotherapy. International Urology and Nephrology، (1994) ; 26 ( 5) : 507- 511.